"Grandiose in every way, Tavern on the Green is Central Park's largest and most flamboyant fine dining restaurant. Located to the west of the Sheep Meadow on 67th Street, it is difficult to imagine that this Victorian Gothic red brick and stone structure originally housed a shepherd and his flock of 200 sheep that used to graze upon the adjacent Sheep Meadow. In 1934, this former Sheepfold was converted into a restaurant, which became a fashionable institution for New Yorkers during the many decades to follow. By the early '70s, Tavern on the Green had fallen out of favor as well as out of sync with the times, forcing it to close its doors in 1974. Thankfully, in 1976 the doors reopened, when the late Warner LeRoy became the proprietor, giving it a newfound popularity. Known for its festive atmosphere it serves more than half a million patrons a year. Its location, size and setting have attracted many of New York's prestigious events such as, Broadway show openings and film premieres.
Submitted by an independent contributor.