"The Graves Art Gallery, situated in the city centre is now part of the Tudor Square cultural complex. The gallery is on the third floor of the Central Library building, with entrance off Surrey Street. It was founded in 1934 through the generosity of Alderman J. G. Graves, whose wide ranging art collection embraced continental as well as British art. The gallery spaces are very pleasing. The collection now covers all periods of British art from the 16th century to the present; French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch paintings of the major periods in the history of art, a fine collection of watercolours, drawings and print, and a small but focussed collection of decorative art from diverse cultures including the Grice collection of Chinese ivories."
Submitted by an independent contributor.